Monday, June 1, 2009

HISTORY OF THE LCT - Landing Craft Tank
Landing Craft were naval vessels with one basic design objective… the capability of carrying their cargo directly onto a beachhead. In the case of the LCT, that meant the ability to deliver 6 tanks or a comparable 150 ton load onto a beach. The LCT could trace its lineage back to a World War I craft called a Lighter which was used primarily to load and unload men and horses. Renewed attention in the vehicle started again in 1940 when Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill expressed interest in a naval vessel capable of carrying tanks directly to a beachhead. Churchill reviewed designs from in 1937 craft but found them lacking. With Germany poised to invade England, I thought it was curious that Churchill was still eager to go on the offensive. Churchill wanted the vessel to carry a load of tanks and armored vehicles in any kind of weather and deliver them directly onto the beach on now occupied coast of Europe. The prime minister's idea called for a vessel able to land 3 36 ton tanks directly onto a beach; a vessel able to sustain itself it at sea for at least a week; a vessel with acceptable if not commodious crew accommodations and a design simplicity whereby the craft could easily be built by joining separate unitized sections which would make for easier shipment aboard large cargo vessels. He also advocated a simple sequence of construction that be executed by steelworkers unfamiliar with the intricacies of ship construction. In short, he wanted assault craft that were inexpensive, easy to build, expendable vessels that could put tanks and men ashore in the quickest time.

Taking the prime minister's challenge, in three days British Naval architects completed initial drawings for a vessel that would become a 152 foot landing craft with a 29 foot beam and shallow draft. The first LCT Mark I was launched in November 1940, and it was an all welded steel-hulled vessel weighing 372 tons that drew only 3 feet of water at its bow. One important key to the LCT's concept was a large stern mounted cage anchor which was dropped while approaching the beach. This anchor helped to keep the craft from broaching and with its powerful winch in able to pull itself off the beach once the cargo was unloaded. The LCT design continued to be improved and by the start of 1944 the Navy had begun to accept delivery of LCT Mark VIs.

When the three pontoon sections, which form the hull of the craft are bolted together, the Mark VI measures 120 feet long, 32 feet wide and at this point is little more than a barge. Atop this “barge” are placed 4 prefabricated rooms of ½ inch steel-plate which are welded onto the tank deck. Three rooms measure 20 feet long by 8 ½’ wide, while the fourth was only 12 feet long and 8 ½ feet wide. One of these steel rooms served as the galley and was placed at the rear (aft) of the tank deck on the left (port) side. Another of the rooms served as the enlisted quarters for 12 men and was situated on the port side just in front of the galley. Directly across from the enlisted quarters a third room served as the quarters for 2 officers and up to six more enlisted men. The fourth prefabricated room was the “head” or bathroom which measured eight and half feet wide by 12 feet long and was situated just behind the officers quarters on the starboard (right) side of the craft. There is 13 feet of open tank deck between the port and starboard pre-fabricated rooms. The pilothouse measuring approximately 6 x 9 was placed atop the officer’s quarters and served as a command center for the craft. The Mark VI had three diesel engines each putting out about 225 hp and has a sailing range of about 700 miles at 7 knots (about 8 miles per hour). When loaded to capacity of 150 tons the Mark VI has a maximum draft of 5 feet. It was designed to deliver tanks, half tracks, trucks, jeeps and personnel to a beach in Europe. By driving as far up onto the beach as possible, the front ramp dropped and the transported vehicles could drive directly onto the beach. The process in loading a LCT was very similar to that of a Ferry. The LCT “backs up” to a dock or to another ship like an LSU, opens the backdoor of the craft which accommodates a ramp from the larger ship, and allows vehicles to be loaded onto the tank deck facing forward. When loading is complete the back door is closed the LCT sails to the landing site, and beaches itself, drops the 13th feet wide ramp, allowing the transported vehicles to disembark right onto the beach.

22 comments:

Karen Favazza Spencer said...

Fantastic job documenting this, Lou! You not only revealed tremendous detail, but you presented it very clearly and vividly, a real challenge when reporting on the "fog of war." My dad, Sam Favazza, was the EO on LCT 541, right there with LCT 540 at Easy Red. He likewise took command early in the day due to the CO being injured. Thank you.

billtracey said...

Thomas McKay says Hello

Unknown said...

Lou,
My Grandfather is Elmer Mueller. I've been trying to find out how he got his silver star for years. I knew the basics but he, like many, has found it hard to discuss. This telling has truly filled in the blanks. Your fathers running across the deck inadvertently began the path to my creation. My grandmother was a nurse my grandfather met while recovering from his burns. This was truly a very proud and important day in the history of my family. You've honored my grandfather and the whole of the 540 in your retelling, and I thank you. If there is a way I could get a copy of the picture of the crew at the top of the blog, I'd love to give it to him.

Best regards,

Jon Granholm

Lou Mahlman said...

Jon,

I'd be glad to share a copy of the photo. How do I get it to you. Please reach out to me with contact info

Lou Mahlman said...

Bill,

Are you a friend or relative of Tom McKay? Please reach out to me. I've tried to locate the guys that Dad served with and have only found a few. I'd like to speak with Tom about facts he'd like to incorporate into this blog. Thanks!

Lou

billtracey said...

Thomas McKay

I am sorry to have to pass on the sad news that my Uncle Tom passed away. The end was very sudden and he quietly died in his sleep. He was please to receive news about his shipmates and the 540 that I passed on to him. I thank you all for the information. It gave all of us a better picture of the events that shaped his early life and made him the man we all loved.
US Navy members played taps and presented the Flag to the family.
Thomas W. McKAY age 94 Mar. 12, 2011. WW II Veteran, D Day Survivor, U.S. Navy. Longtime employee of Ford Motor Co. Husband of the late Agnes T. (nee Tracey); uncle of Joseph, Michael, William, Robert, Stephen, Thomas, Anita Tracey, and Joanne Merritt.

Anonymous said...

Hi
I was doing a search on facebook. Trying to see if my cousin was on there when I came across this. Her father would be Ursinus Leberman. I remember my dad telling me Uncle Fat was in the Navy but they never talked about it. I think I remember seeing that picture when I was a kid. Uncle Fat passed away in 1978. And I never knew he was war hero. Would to get a copy of article for my dad. He was pretty much raised by them. They don't own a computer & I can't talk them into one at their age.
Cindy Anderson/Hess

Rae Leberman DiGuiseppe said...

Dear Lou, My name is Rae Leberman DiGuiseppe and Ursinus (Fat) Leberman was my father. I want to thank you for compiling and sharing your beautifully written story. It was surreal to see my dad's smiling face in the front row of your picture! As my cousin, Cindy Anderson Hess mentioned in an earlier post, my dad rarely spoke of his time in France. He talked about some of his "Navy buddies", but seldom of the circumstances. Most of the information I have I received from my mother. My dad was an unassuming, soft-spoken man with a big heart. I would love to have a copy of your picture of the crew to have as a keepsake for my children. Thank you.

billtracey said...

Again, a big Thank You to all the men of LTC 540
^ June 6 2014

Sheryl H. Sanders said...

Sherwood Lee Harris was my father he talked very little about his time during the war. I knew that he had received metals for his bravery but that's about it he never brag about his time during the war. My father was very young during this battle he was only sixteen years old. Thank you so much Sherwood's daughter Sheryl Harris Sanders

Lou Mahlman said...

Sheryl,

If you have a photo of your father, I's be glad to add it onto the blog. Reach out to me at lou_mahlman@verizon.net

Sheryl H. Sanders said...

I will, my mom is still living I have no military picture of my dad but she does I would be honored to have my dads picture on your blog. Thank You so much for taking the time to respond to me. Sheryl

Sheryl H. Sanders said...

I email my father's picture please let me know if you receive it.

Thank You,

Sheryl

Accredo said...

Lou,

FYI - My cousin Teddy Jablonowski was on the boat. Actual called him uncle for many years. A Polish close family thing. His daughter Elly was going through was going through his belongings a few yuears after his death and found his citation. For the 75th Anniversary I'm putting together a short video for her on the landing. I'm using your account in it just to let you know in case. I will mention in the introduction citing you wrote the account. What is the best way to reference?

billtracey said...

Again, we remember and thank the crew of the LCT 540.

Lou Mahlman said...

Accredo,

My narrative is a combination of written and oral accounts from some of the crew of the LCT 540. I was fortunate to have found the 540's Log Book covering March 1944 through early in 1945.. my dad was the last guy off the craft before is was scrap. I'll be glad to send copies of the scanned log book … if you are interested send a note to me at lou.mahlman@gmail.com . FYI Bill Wilhoit became the CEO 200 yards off the Easy Red Beach on Omaha is still alive and living in the Dallas area. I would appreciate a copy of your video.

Lou Mahlman
Bethlehem, PA

Unknown said...


Sir-- thank you for making this info available. I am researching Ens. Nye Moses for the National D-Day Memorial. Please email me when you have the chance and I will give you an update. Many thanks-- John D. Long, Director of Education, National D-Day Memorial, Bedford, VA.

Unknown said...

Forgot to include my email! jlong@dday.org Thanks!

Betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Betsy said...

I am Betsy Wilhoit Perkins, the daughter of Bill Wilhoit, referenced in your story. I want to thank you so much for your detailed accounting of the LCT 540 and what happened on D-Day. It was a fascinating read, and like so many others, it filled in many blanks for me. My Dad never spoke about the war when I was growing up. My sister and I played with a German helmet, but we had no idea of the significance of it. It was not till the movie "Saving Private Ryan" came out that Dad ever talked about it. When the movie first came out, a trailer for the movie came on TV. Dad went completely white and his wife asked "Bill, what is it?" he said "That's D-Day!". She explained that this was a movie about D-Day, and Dad replied that he would never see the movie. He said he had lived it and he never wanted to go here again. After some weeks, Dad's grandkids kept asking him to see the movie with them and said "Pa-Pa, we want to see this movie with you, because you lived it. After much thought, Dad finally agreed to go. The entire extended family took Dad out to dinner, and he said that just this once anyone could ask him anything they wanted about his experiences in the war. Lots of good talking was done, and we proceeded to the theatre. 22 of us surrounded Dad in the theatre and we watched it together. I think it helped Dad to be supported with all that love. He went on to speak at various Memorial Day celebrations, schools, etc. Dad was the most humble, unassuming man, as many have said about their Dad, uncle, etc. They were the Greatest Generation both in name and in deed. Your story has told me much more about my Dad's part in D-Day than I ever knew before. And the men of the LCT 540 are all heroes in my eyes. Thank you so much for putting this together. Betsy. betzperkins@gmail.com

Tim Burrows said...

Thank you for this story, it is amazing and allows me to relive my grandfather's stories of that day. He served on LCT 540 (Wilmer Burrows). These men were true heroes. As I write this, I look at my grandfather's helmet that he wore that day and I am so proud of his service. D-Day is extra special because my maternal grandfather was also on Omaha Beach that morning (first wave Dog Red infantry).